Dr. Richard J. Ort, M.D.
Board Certified Dermatologist
Fellowship Trained - Harvard University
"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” is the famous quote by Benjamin Franklin. It could be great advice when applied to the subject of facial wrinkles and healthier skin.
There are six "ounces" or preventions that can be used by everyone concerned with wrinkle reduction.
1) Seek the best methods to protect your skin from the sun. Most skin aging is due to chronic exposure to the sun’s damaging ultraviolet (UV) rays. Wear sunscreen on a daily basis, preferably a quality brand that contains zinc oxide. Also use protective clothing and clothing accessories like hats and sunglasses. There are several excellent brands of stylish clothing that offer U.V. protection too.
2) Don’t even think about smoking. Smoking is a leading cause of cancer and produces free radicals that destroy healthy cells and break down skin collagen. Also, avoid second-hand smoke as much as possible.
3) Sleep on your back. Sleeping on your stomach or side compresses the face and causes sleep lines to form over time. And, try to maintain a consistent schedule to get at least eight hours of sleep nightly.
4) Follow a healthy diet. Eat plenty of dark green vegetables such as broccoli and fruit such as berries which are loaded with anti-oxidants. Limit intake of red meat and processed sugars. Take a daily multivitamin.
5) Use effective skincare products on a regular basis. Anti-oxidants such as Vitamin C and Vitamin E and Ferrulic Acid have been shown to protect against ultraviolet damage and reduce wrinkles. Products like nV® Skin Care Replenish Serum can act as a cornerstone treatment to help prevent skin aging, reduce and even eliminate some facial wrinkles.
6) Use corrective cosmetic treatments. Many wrinkles are caused by repetitive muscle contractions which “crease” or “groove” the skin. Botox Cosmetic® is very popular because it reduces excess muscle activity and actually prevents wrinkles from forming in the first place.
If you use these six methods of prevention, and you will enjoy younger-looking skin for years to come! Richard J Ort, M.D. is a board-certified dermatologist and medical director for the Dermatology & Laser institute of Colorado